Travelling by Plane
- Edinburgh Airport is a large international airport with direct flights to many cities including London, Belfast, and Birmingham. The easiest way to get to our Edinburgh campus from the airport is by taxi or Uber which takes around 35 minutes. You could also catch a bus or tram from the airport, alight at Haymarket station and get the 25 Lothian bus from Dalry Road directly to campus. This bus takes around 30 minutes and runs every 10 minutes during the day and every 15 minutes after 8 pm.
- LOGANAIR offers 30% off with the promo code 30INSNA24 for delegates booking to travel over the date range 20 June – 04 July, bookable up to 31 May.
Travelling by Train
- Edinburgh Waverley is Edinburgh’s main train station located in the city centre, with direct trains to many Scottish and English cities. Many journeys will also stop at Haymarket station, which is located at the edge of the city centre (closer to campus). The easiest way to get to campus is to hop on the 25 Lothian bus from Princes St (Stop PP) which takes around 30 minutes.
Travel by Tram
- Travelling by tram from the Edinburgh Airport to the City Centre, Leith, or Newhaven is quick and easy and you can save time and money by pre-purchasing your tickets on the official website.
- Visit this link for discounted tickets – use ‘INSNA’ as the discount code for 20% off on any purchased tickets.
Travelling by Bus or Coach
- Bus: A number of Lothian Bus routes service the Edinburgh campus to and from the city centre every 10 minutes during the day and every 15 minutes after 8pm. The journey will take you 30-40 minutes. In Scotland under 22s can apply for free bus travel with the Young Persons’ Free Bus Travel Scheme.
- Coach: All National Express coaches arrive at Edinburgh Bus Station located in the heart of the city centre. This is an affordable way to travel and the option of some overnight services.
Travelling by Car
- Heriot-Watt University's Edinburgh Campus is easy to access by car from the centre of Edinburgh and from all major routes leading to the city. The University is half a mile from the Calder Junction off the A720 City of Edinburgh by-pass and the A71, and you’ll see signs for Heriot-Watt University on your approach.
- Students can park in car parks A, B, G, H, or J.
- Visitors to the University should use car park A, B, H, or J.
- Disabled visitors can use the accessible car park at Gait 10 next to the Centre for Sport & Exercise.
- A number of electric vehicle charging stations can be found on the Edinburgh campus, for which an RFID card is required to initiate the charge.
- You can find the location of the car parks or electric charging stations on the map of Edinburgh Campus.
- Parking on the Campus is entirely at your own risk and the University accepts no liability or responsibility for any damage caused to vehicles. Parking on Campus is overseen by the SafeGuarding Team, this includes issuing permits and maintenance of related records. It is important to note that the parking rules on Campus are as per the Highway Code e.g., not parking on double yellow lines. If you park outside of any of the designated car parks your vehicle may be stickered, if you have a permit, you may be contacted, and in some circumstances your vehicle may be towed away. If you rely on a blue badge to park your vehicle, you must display this on your vehicle at all times. If you have any questions or queries about car parking, please contact the car parking team.
Travelling by Bike
- There are several safe cycle routes for commuting to campus:
- Route from city centre
- Route from Edinburgh Park
- Route along canal
- Alternatively, plan your journey.
- There are a number of bicycle racks across campus. Look for the bicycle icons on the Campus map to locate the most convenient rack for you.
- Visit our pages on the AccessAble website for details of disabled access features at our Edinburgh Campus. The guides describe your journey into and throughout the campus buildings – accommodation, library, catering, teaching spaces etc – and includes photographs of the features covered.